[Gllug] KVM-over-internet

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 22:44:32 UTC 2012

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012, John Hearns wrote:

> Why have a 3G dongle?
>
> Ship a system with an enabled serial connector, plus a modem.  Ask the
> customer to plug the modem in to a phone line.

A modem?  You're talking about a max 56kbps and that's down rather than
up iirc.  Even GPRS is faster than that, let alone EDGE (5ish times
faster).  3G would be megabit speeds (20 -> 100 TIMES faster) and I
imagine, actually cheaper!

> I am being completely serious here. this might be the technically
> sweetest and easiest way to do this.

This would work better ONLY* if there were a lack of GSM/UMTS (or
something weird if a weird country like parts of the USA or Japan).  It
would necessitate a fixed landline, which may actually be less common!

 - Damion

*Okay, perhaps the inbound issue as you'll see in my other email.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk