[Gllug] KVM-over-internet

Rich Walker rw at shadowrobot.com
Wed Feb 1 18:05:01 UTC 2012

James Courtier-Dutton <james.dutton at gmail.com> writes:

> On 31 January 2012 15:50, Rich Walker <rw at shadowrobot.com> wrote:
>>
>> This isn't server installations, unfortunately - it's specific embedded
>> hardware being delivered as part of a package, with a customer whose
>> network is usually locked down in all sorts of ways. The KVM->router->3G
>> dongle approach will probably be the final solution...
>>

> "locked down" and "having a 3G dongle" seem to be contradicting.
> If you do put 3G dongle there, make sure the customer knows what you
> are doing and that it does not bypass any of their lock down policy.
> Mobile phones in machine rooms is sometimes against policy at some sites.

Not "locked down as in guards", just "locked down as in we can't ssh to
and fro freely". Or, sometimes, get an IP address for a piece of
hardware we brought.

So 3g dongle sort of makes sense.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadowrobot.com
managing director      251 Liverpool Road   | skype: rich_at_shadow
need a Hand?           London  N1 1LX       | +44 20 7700 2487
http://www.shadowrobot.com/hand/            | +44 7866 561014
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk