[Gllug] [OT] data protection 'phone calls

Iain Gray iain.dv at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 17:29:33 UTC 2012

On 31 January 2012 11:58, Alain Williams <addw at phcomp.co.uk> wrote:

> Somewhat OT for the list, but I suspect that someone may have the info
> that I want.
>
> Hi,
>
> I am having a row with a UK Govt department. When they 'phone (number with
> held) they
> insist in me proving who I am ('what is your NI number') before they will
> prove
> who they are[**] - the result is that I refuse to speak to them.
>
> I have told them about social engineering and scammers who 'phone people,
> they
> can't see my point and just got annoyed when I said that I had to regard
> their
> staff 'phoning me as scammers.

I had an exact same thing with my solicitor (wanted my address, birth date
and NI number!!) and when I pretty much said the same as you their response
was " Oh OK then - Don't worry I'll talk to you anyway"

I didn't bother asking why they had even bothered with the id check if I
could simply refuse with no effect.

On the other OT thread this has raised - can I just say that my sympathies
go out to all fathers treated as criminals in divorce cases by government
and law alike.

iain