[Gllug] Fedora Core 14

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Sat Feb 4 02:14:06 UTC 2012

"Richard W.M. Jones" writes:

>> Even the early versions of RedHat Linux in the 1990s allowed for
>> offline OS upgrades (you had to boot from CDROM). The main problems
>> then were caused by installing 3rd party RPM packages which had bad
>> dependencies.
>
>It's partly because not all Fedora developers are keen to support
>this.  My laptop has a "rolling upgrade" (of Fedora Rawhide) that I
>usually only reinstall every 2-3 years, so it works reasonably if you
>can deal with the breakage.

Indeed. I recall a couple of years ago, someone from Red Hat posted
a list of reasons why rolling upgrades couldn't be done in the general
case, and a bunch of features that weren't possible without an external
installer like anaconda. This was met with a deafening silence from all
those in the Debian world that had been claiming RH was just being rubbish
in requiring an external installer. Yes, there is a subset of machines
that can be upgraded that way (and IIRC, Fedora does now support updating
via yum for those machines). But there are others where it simply won't
work.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk