[Gllug] Ssh Debugging

Dimitrios Siganos dimitris at siganos.org
Mon Feb 27 13:45:13 UTC 2012

On 25/02/12 21:16, Mick Farmer wrote:
> Dear Dimitrios,
>
> Thanks for your reply, but no success, even as root.
>
> I also tried port 5678 and got the same result.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mick               /"\
>                     \ /
> Linux Registered    X  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
> User #287765       / \ Against HTML Mail
> --

Hi Mick,

After a lot of emails there is still no clear clue as to what is happening.

Iain is right that the logs show that it successfully binds to IPv6 but
fails to bind to IPv4.

At this stage we need to understand your network setup. I suggest you
run the following commands (on both client and server) and post their
output:

1) ip addr

2) ip link

3) ip route

4) netstat -atnp

Another thing we can do is to take ssh out of the equation and see if
basic networking works.

Try on the server:
nc -l 1234

On the client:
nc <server_addr> 1234

Whatever you type on one terminal should show up on the other (after
pressing enter).

That will tell us if you have an ssh related problem or a more basic
networking problem.

Regards,
Dimitrios Siganos
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk