[Gllug] open source centric ICT in Schools from Sept 2012 ?

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 11 11:31:07 UTC 2012

>> In the Guardian coverage there are several references to people at
> Google being happy about this change, indicating that perhaps it will be
> a good thing. There are also references to people at the Mercedes F1
> team complaining that they can't find good people and that they have to
> train them up before they can contribute, but I'm not sure what's wrong
> with that. Why not take a good computer scientist and train him for some
> specific F1 GP specific skills he may be lacking. I'm guessing it would
> be better for them in the long run.

I believe that article was being slightly fast-and-loose with the
definition of a computer scientist.
Ian Wright would have been referring to engineering graduates when
that discussion was being made with the journalist.
In vehicle dynamics you can be a maths graduate, a physics graduate,
an engineering graduate from many disciplines - including mechanical
and aerodynamics and succeed well.

I hope you understand my distinction - on the one hand the article
talked about computer science courses, but on the other hand it was
talking about engineering graduates and how they fit in.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk