[Gllug] open source centric ICT in Schools from Sept 2012

Rob Crowther robertc at boogdesign.com
Wed Jan 18 13:40:56 UTC 2012

On 18/01/2012 11:17, Tethys wrote:

> Christopher Currie writes:
>
>> For general programming skills (as opposed to games) wouldn't a better
>> grounding in modern or classical languages (taught at least partly in
>> the old fashioned way, with formal grammar and syntax, and some prose
>> composition) be more effective?
>
> No.

I was told in my first week at University that language aptitude
correlated at least as strongly as mathematical aptitude with later
ability to write programs.  This was in the "don't worry if you've never
done any programming before" part of the opening CS101 lecture.  I'm
fairly sure one of the reasons I got a better than average offer from
this University was because I'd done an English Lit A-level.

Rob
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk