[Gllug] open source centric ICT in Schools from Sept 2012 ?

Christian Smith csmith at thewrongchristian.org.uk
Thu Jan 19 21:39:21 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 11:16:10PM +0000, Keith Edmunds wrote:
> > It's not essential provided you have a reasonable income and not too
> > many kids.
>
> How does the "not too many kids" part come into this? I don't think
> children significantly increase the cost of food for a household,
> particularly if you cook yourself (which is the subject being discussed).

Home cooking scales much better when it comes to cost/benefits. As the
number of heads go up, the cost goes up less than linearly, whereas with
bought in pre-prepared food, costs go up linearly with the number of heads.

Then again, it depends on how much you value your time. With pre-prepared
food, what you lose in material costs are often recouped in man power costs.
When I was single IT professional, I valued my time much more than food,
hence almost exclusively ate pre-prepared food (usually curry or pizza).

Now that I have a family, it makes more economic sense to buy the raw
materials and let the wife do the cooking for me :)

Christian
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk