[Gllug] [OT] data protection 'phone calls

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Tue Jan 31 11:58:01 UTC 2012

Somewhat OT for the list, but I suspect that someone may have the info that I want.

Hi,

I am having a row with a UK Govt department. When they 'phone (number with held) they
insist in me proving who I am ('what is your NI number') before they will prove
who they are[**] - the result is that I refuse to speak to them.

I have told them about social engineering and scammers who 'phone people, they
can't see my point and just got annoyed when I said that I had to regard their
staff 'phoning me as scammers.

Can anyone point me to succinct advice (preferably from the UK govt, police,
ICO, ...) that says that it is good practice to for an organisation to provide
proof of who they are when the 'phone someone to discuss private/sensitive
matters. I have tried googling, but not really come up with what I am looking
for.

Thanks

[**] They say that the will not prove who they are since would involve them
giving out personal information when they are not sure of my identity :-)

They persist in 'phoning me in spite of my repeated requests to correspond by
post, but that is a secondary issue.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/