[Gllug] open source centric ICT in Schools from Sept 2012 ?

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 13 18:19:54 UTC 2012

The comments re. the NHS are spot on.

>Take the new National NHS computer system that failed quite
> spectacularly, never going into the production use.
> The main reason it failed is because the project was too big and had
> too many dependencies.
>  If they had approached the system by first defining the interfaces
> between components.

I was working in the NHS at the time that project started up.
Not boasting, I was on the organising committee of one of the founding
conferences of the use of the Internet in Medicine and I helped form a
short-lived organisation called BHIA, which aimed to be the voice of
the users in the new networked NHS.
I also recall meeting Admiral Grainger on one occasion.

Anyway, I said and many people said at the time that definiing open
standards for data interchange was the key, rather than going about
spending untold millions of spiffing hardware and databases.
Indeed, there was (And still is) an indigenous culture of GP surgery
information systems - VAMP comes to mind. All fo these were
pooh-poohed as the work of amateurs, and were to be swept away when
the Big National Standard ssytems were online. Guess what?
If the NHS had defined standards then software companies would have
grown up to satisfy the demand.

I liken it to the start of the Web. At the time there were plenty of
noticeboard and discussion forum software packages out there, being
actively used byt he scientists at CERN. but each was particular to
the platform it ran on - my favourite being VAX Notes.
Tim Berners-Lee worked on the open protocol which allowed access to
data on a Web server - which of course was made available as open
source. He did NOT work on a particular platform and make it perform
well/be compelling to use/yadda yadda.
Yes he did of course produce a reference webserver  implementation on
a Next, but this rapidly spread to DEC Unix boxes and other Unix
implementations.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk