[Gllug] KVM-over-internet

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 31 09:31:50 UTC 2012

On 31/01/2012, John Edwards <john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk> wrote:
> They were called PC Weasels and were rather ugly hacks:
> 	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_Weasel_2000
> 	http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4557

That's the chappie!
They were briefly trialled at CERN, as I recall.

> If you need to do a lot of this then buying servers with IPMI make
> this all a lot easier, and will probably be cheaper in the long run.

I completely second that.
Do it properly - spec the hardware with IPMI, and ensure whoever is
hosting the server provides either one or two ethernet cables (servers
can be confgured to use IPMI 'piggybacking' on the primary ethernet
interface). I would reccomend the separate interface though.
If you definitely can't get that management LAN connection, then as
above you'll have to send a 3G capable router strapped to the side of
the box.

As I said above, I manage large systems with IPMI. I am confident that
I can VPN in from home (or anywhere really, and I have done this) and
shut down systems when necessary.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk