[Gllug] [OT] data protection 'phone calls

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Tue Jan 31 13:28:54 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 01:05:32PM +0000, Tethys . wrote:

> I have exactly the same issue with my bank. They don't seem to
> understand the problem and get very confused when I refuse to speak to
> them.

My bank (Nat West) have been good as far as this is concerned and told me
something like the value of a recent bank transaction. The individual always
seemed surprised at my request that they prove their identity - which suggests
to me that few people challenge people who call them - which is why social
engineering/phishing is so successful.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/