[Gllug] open source centric ICT in Schools from Sept 2012 ?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Jan 17 21:01:53 UTC 2012

On 11 Jan 2012, Alain Williams said:
> The modern driving test has some requirement on car maintainance - an
> improvement from when I did it. Likewise people are taught at schools to
> change plugs, most (even boys) do some cookery, ... although it could
> perhaps go further.

This is a personal bugbear, but in the modern world, with people
increasingly living alone for long periods, it is surely a matter of
basic public health that people be taught to cook well enough to live
on. But, nooo, in too many places it's treated as something unimportant
that you 'will pick up from your mother' (bleah).

It's one of a very few skills essential to life. Forget 'economic
competence', in my opinion simple cookery is about as important as
reading. Yet it is barely taught.

--
NULL && (void)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk