[Gllug] KVM-over-internet

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 30 19:10:56 UTC 2012

In fact, what you want is a terminal concentrator.
Enable a serial console on your machine, and get an ethernet enabled
terminal server.
We used to ship these on all machines at Streamline - they are a 1U
box at the top of the
rack, which looks like an Ethernet switch. but all the RJ45s are serial lines,
and you use a Cat 5 to the rear of the machine, and a Cat5 to DB9 adapter.
Cyclades are the trade name you're looking for.

http://www.avocent.com/Legacy_Firmware_Updates/Cyclades/Cyclades-TS_Terminal_Servers.aspx

Also used them at the Framestore.

but as I say these days you use BMCs with IPMI - stills erial
consoles, but they run over the IPMI interface.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk