[Gllug] Schoolboy Grammar

Chris Vine chris at cvine.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Mar 27 21:41:31 UTC 2012

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 11:18:30 +0100
Stuart Sears <stuart at sjsears.com> wrote:
> > A Cooking error
>  Cooking is a gerund and therefore an adjectival form, so this one
>  works, although probably not for the reason you gave (it is
> adjectival). Although you can still say "An error in cooking"

I am not convinced you are right.  A gerund is a noun form, and a
participle an adjectival form.  Both are identical in formation, but
different in grammar.  So "an error in cooking" is a gerund.  I believe
"a cooking error" is in fact a present participle.  We both agree
though that "a cooking error" is correct English.

Chris
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk