[Gllug] What are the best practices for Linux partitioning & Mount points for Production systems

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Mar 7 00:34:23 UTC 2012

On 6 Mar 2012, Keith Edmunds verbalised:

>> > I have not noticed a significant performance difference in disk access
>> > speeds relating to the external vs internal tracks on a platter.
>>
>> There is a significant difference, often as much as a factor of two.
>
> I'm surprised. Do you have a source for that statement?

My own benchmarks on my 2009-vintage desktop and server, during initial
burnin. One machine showed 50Mb/s on inner tracks, 95Mb/s on outer
tracks (damn nearly a factor of two): the other (an Areca RAID-5 array)
showed 160Mb/s on inner tracks, 250Mb/s on outer tracks.

I wish I could remember the tool I used. It wrote logfiles giving the
read rate against distance into the device or file being used (normally
a block device, of course) and could then postprocess this to give nice
ASCII-art graphs... it was neither bonnie++ nor ffsb, but I can't
remember what it was. How annoying.

--
NULL && (void)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk