[Gllug] Debian 6.04 trouble with X

Richard W.M. Jones rich at annexia.org
Thu Mar 1 21:48:15 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 12:02:15PM +0000, John Hearns wrote:
> On 29/02/2012, Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> wrote:
> >

> > I've not found a machine on which KMS doesn't work for nearly a year
> > now. The proposals to drop all the remoting parts of X on the grounds
> > that 'nobody' uses them, now *those* I find annoying.
>
> Would be grateful to a pointer for those proposals please!
> Remote graphics is pretty important to me.

Look up 'Wayland'.

There was a rather silly talk at FOSDEM where discussion centred
around how to make the 'close' button work in the brave new world of
Wayland, when apps are hung or otherwise not responding.  Apparently
cut and paste is now working.  They made a huge technological
breakthrough with cut and paste too -- it uses MIME types instead of X
atoms.

/me despairs at the cascade of attention deficit teenagers ...

Rich.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat