[Gllug] What are the best practices for Linux partitioning & Mount points for Production systems

Andrew Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Tue Mar 6 14:02:53 UTC 2012

/boot is put in the first few cylinders because it used to be that the boot
loaders could not access it past a certain point.  Once disks grew larger
than this size, it became an issue.  This led to the default behavior of
placing it first on the disk which let the older boot loaders load it
correctly even on a larger disk.  By maintaining this practice, you make it
possible to boot off even an OLD "liveCD" or install disk set and pass
parameters that will cause your system to load from the hard drive even
after booting from the (gasp) floppy or CD.

Andy