[Gllug] VACANCY: Linux Systems Administrator

Keith Edmunds kae at midnighthax.com
Sun Mar 25 10:11:20 UTC 2012

Here's our criteria for selecting Linux support consultants. There are
three requirements:

1. You must be passionate about Linux
2. You must be a smart person who gets things done
2. You must have have excellent written and verbal communication skills

An intangible is that you must fit our existing team.

I'll write a little more about those below, but for clarity: we are
completely uninterested in academic qualifications. Linux qualifications
will support item 1 above; RHCE will give a slight edge.

Passionate about Linux: because that's what we do. If you don't believe,
it isn't going to work. If you are passionate about Linux, you will have
experience of it (not necessarily commercial).

Smart person who gets things done: because that's what we do. If you can't
get things done, it isn't going to work. You'll need to be smart because
some of the things we do are hard.

Excellent written and verbal communication skills: because that's what we
do. If you can't communicate professionally and effectively with our
clients, it isn't going to work. Most of our work is carried out remotely,
and so the impression our clients form of us will be influenced by the
communications.

So, a candidate who presents themselves eloquently, has gained some Linux
experience by setting a server up for a charity, and who asks for a chance
to prove themselves in a commercial environment stands a good chance. A
candidate with RHEL and a degree who believes that it is acceptable for the
pronoun "I" to be written "i" will probably not get an interview.
--
"You can have everything in life you want if you help enough other people
get what they want" - Zig Ziglar.

Who did you help today?
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk