[Gllug] Schoolboy Grammar

Keith Edmunds kae at midnighthax.com
Tue Mar 27 19:08:12 UTC 2012

> So evaluating technicians on the basis of how perfect their grammar
> and spelling skills are, well, somehow is missing the bigger picture

Maybe you're right; however, a business is about a lot more than having
the required technical skills available. This is the wrong forum, but I
could happily rabbit on a about "market positioning" for long enough to
bore most people. Let's try this: imagine you are in Lidl and you ask an
assistant where the coffee is, and they reply, "Up there, mate, next to
the veg". You'd probably be quite happy with that answer. Now put yourself
in Waitrose and ask the same question. Would you be surprised if you had
exactly the same response?

I'm not arguing the rights and wrongs of any response; I'm discussing
perceptions and expectations. One would not, for example, expect The Times
to have the headline, "Cor, what a June scorcher!" on a hot day in summer,
but no one minds The Sun doing it
(http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2508936/Cor-what-a-June-scorcher.html,
and no, I'm not a Sun reader!)
--
"You can have everything in life you want if you help enough other people
get what they want" - Zig Ziglar.

Who did you help today?
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk