[Gllug] IBM servers for free

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Fri Mar 2 15:53:32 UTC 2012

Hi

We have 3 or 4 rather old (2005) IBM 206 tower servers (model 8482)
that are no longer used and will be free to a good home before they
are sent for recycling on Thursday next week (8th March).

The hardware is a Pentium D dual core 64 bit capable CPU (around
3GHz), 512MB or 1GB RAM (not ECC), two hotswap SATA drives (either
80GB or 160GB), onboard Gigabit ethernet and several spare PCI slots
(some of which are 64bit/66MHz I think). Fans are variable, so server
is noisy for few seconds at boot and then settles down to being
quieter than background conversation.

Service history is generally good, but some of these machines have
had a few lockups without any kernel message, which I suspect is
because the RAM is not ECC. So I would not use them for anything
important or 24x7, but they could make a good test or dev machine.

For all enquires please email me directly. Pickup office hours from
Chiswick, West London, 2 minutes from the BR railway station.