[Gllug] VACANCY: Linux Systems Administrator

JLMS jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 22 11:04:45 UTC 2012

On 21 March 2012 14:53, Robert . <forums at binaryexistence.co.uk> wrote:

> On 21 March 2012 14:14, John Hearns <hearnsj at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 20/03/2012, Robert . <forums at binaryexistence.co.uk> wrote:
>> > This job would probably be ideal for someone like me as I'm lacking
>> > experience and therefore knowledge in Linux,
>>
>> Well.... errr..... apply for it then?
>>
>> --
>

> Great, thanks for that enlightening and supportive input, glad you made the
> effort.
> I've already looked into it a bit more and discovered the location isn't as
> central in Uxbridge as I need since I move about on public transport these
> days.
>
> Just out of interest, for those of you that do work in linux jobs on a daily
> basis, did you choose, train for, and aimed for your career with Linux, or
> did you find it just happened due to changes of circumstances at your
> employeer ?

To be fair, you asked for it :-)

As for how one falls in the Linux space, it  used to be just by
chance, but now that it is a fully professionalized field I suppose
you would study operating systems in Uni and then move on to an entry
position in a place where Linux is prevalent.

Most companies nowadays won't take self thought people (a shame
really) and with the prevalence of  certifications many  are not
evening considering applicants without one.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk