[Gllug] Gnome 3

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Mon Mar 26 09:04:03 UTC 2012

 On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 01:43:24 +0100, Mick Farmer wrote:
> Dear GLLUGers,
>
> Today I upgraded Fedora from 14 to 16.  I assume that Gnome 3 is my
> new
> window manager.
>
> However, when I try to change anything I don't have an "Activities"
> on
> the left of my top menu, just "Applications" and "Places".

 It's possible you are running in fallback mode, which is used when the
 graphics HW in your system is not 'powerful' enough for the full-on
 GNOME Shell experience. What's the spec of the machine you're running
 on?

 Does your screen look like the screenshots of fallback mode on this
 site?

 http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gnome-3-fallback.html

> Am I really running Gnome 3?

 Yes, probably. If you're on Fedora 16, pretty much definitely as there
 is no GNOME2 available.

> If so, how do I access my activities?

 Define 'activities' in this sense? the fancy overlays (probably**)
 won't work in fallback mode, but you should be able to run apps from the
 'Applications' menu as before.

 Stuart

 ** I have no idea, I haven't actually used fallback mode.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk