[Gllug] IPv6

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Sun May 6 10:53:15 UTC 2012

On Sun, May 06, 2012 at 10:41:29AM +0100, Keith Edmunds wrote:
> I switched to goscomb.net as my ISP specifically because they support
> IPv6. The fact that they are a smaller ISP and generally have a clue was
> an added bonus.

And small (growing) ISPs probably don't have a large lump of old Class
A or B subnets sitting around.

> I see little interest amongst our clients for IPv6 at the moment. It is,
> of course, in the interests of big Internet companies (Amazon, Google,
> Facebook, etc) to delay the general rollout of IPv6 as long as possible.

How did you work that one out?

Google and Facebook were part of the IPv6 test day last year:
	http://www.worldipv6day.org/

And will be part of the permanent launch this year:
	http://www.worldipv6launch.org/

I don't know if Amazon will be part of that launch, but IPv6 is very
much in their interest for their cloud computing platform. Having
multiple virtual machine instances greatly increases the demand for
IP addresses. On one network with virtual machines the IP usage has
gone up from 8 IPs to 35 in 4 years.