[Gllug] Rekindling interest in London LUG events

Caparo caparo at saltmine.org.uk
Tue May 1 07:44:27 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 01 May 2012 08:11:18 JLMS wrote:
> On 1 May 2012 07:57, Caparo <caparo at saltmine.org.uk> wrote:
> >>
> >>    My suggestion was for more local hands-on groups, perhaps similar to
> >> that in London Hackspace, but also a more comprehensive central group
> >> structure, (in any case I am not very good at arranging talks). I
> >> learned mechanical engineering by doing it when I was about 7 at the
> >> family run general engineering and toolmaking company, and there was
> >> always a queue of locals waiting to have a go at weekends when they
> >> could attempt their own projects and repairs. I soon learned about
> >> rebuilding petrol engines, worked on an industrial power wiring project
> >> at 13, and electronics later. Too many people never even get started
> >> now, and many are just as nervous about anything "technical".
> >
> > I am with you Chris ,people learn more thro doing than
> > listening.something like 60% knowledge retention to 3% retention after a
> > period of 3 days has elapsed.
> >
> > --
> > TTFN
> >   Caparo.
>
> All that is well and good, but that would imply the existence of a
> permanent or semi-permanent computing lab with all the necessary
> equipment to come and hack away.
>
> That costs $$$ (sorry, US English keyboard) which I suppose it is why
> it doesn't happen...
> --

Actually it did happen and continued to happen for a period of 2.5 years.all
the 13 computers was donated from companies updating their equipment. .The
venue was tiny but again the Cat 5 was donated and the host provided broad
band . the host was a private individual who organised /  held sessions every
other Sunday.

Why did it shut down? Lack of REAL linux users who would pass on their
knowledge wanting to talk & work along side people who knew very little about
computing.
The 2 main guys who helped run it got offered work  in the far east and the
city leaving the main host on his own and he ran out of knowledge and despite
asking on a lug got no concrete help and it died of fatigue.

the only finance involved was that anyone who attended paid a Fiver for Lunch
and tea through out the days session of 6 hours.

--
TTFN
   Caparo.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk