[GLLUG] Size of a directory

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Tue Oct 30 15:23:35 UTC 2012

Hi John

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 02:51:28PM +0000, John G Walker wrote:
> I'm being told that I'm running out of disk space in my home directory.
> I don't believe this, but how do I check?
>
> I di know but I've forgotten,

In addition to the other good suggestions of ways of using the 'du'
command, for a summary of each file and directory in your home
directory you can run:

(translation = du with summary and total in human readable sizes of
 each item in home including hidden files and directories)

There are also GUI tools such as 'filelight', 'baobab' and 'k4dirstat'
that create coloured pictures to make it easier to see what is using
the disk space.