[GLLUG] Size of a directory

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Tue Oct 30 19:41:05 UTC 2012

On Tue 30 Oct, John G Walker wrote:

> I'm being told that I'm running out of disk space in my home directory.
> I don't believe this, but how do I check?
>
> I di know but I've forgotten,

   I had a problem with several "disc full" crashes in rapid succession, yet
on re-boot there was only a tiny amount full. It turned out to be the KDE
Nepomuk and soprano-virtuoso desktop search trying to index everything
connected, including an external drive with a huge software mirror, saving
the result to a file about 10 levels down in a hidden "dot" directory in my
/home. On reboot the file was deleted because it was open at the crash and
had been corrupted. I traced the problem using du on selected parts of the
filing system, and then disabled Nepomuk.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk