[GLLUG] Ubuntu Server Failover

James Hawtin oolon at ankh.org
Fri Aug 2 10:21:26 UTC 2013

On 02/08/13 10:54, Jean van Wyngaardt wrote:
> Hello Guys
>
> Anyone have a good experience setting up a failover server, that also replicates the data from a master server?
>
> I would assume rsync would do nicely for the data side, but I haven't really messed around too much with any failover apps before. Anyone have any favourites?
>
> Jean

It all depends how "out of sync" you don't mind your data to be. If your
looking for something largely in sync, shared storage solutions like
ceph or drdb are perhaps the way to go. If however you don;t mind things
being more out of sync, like I do with my email, then rsync is a good
solution, I host my mail server on a vps, rather than backing up the
whole thing, once a day I shutdown the mail server, snap shot the
filesystem, start the mail server, mount the snapshot, then resync that
to my home server (this means that the data is in order, ie the files
will not change as I replicate, so if I do have to use the backup, I
will not have to first fix any out of order files (indexes)).

James