[GLLUG] Windows virtual machine - KVM vs XEN vs Virtualbox

James Roberts j.roberts at stabilys.com
Tue Aug 27 16:19:14 UTC 2013

On 26/08/13 09:59, Dylan wrote:
>...The guest system would only be used
> occasionally for Windows-only applications (3D graphics editors)

The key words here are '3D graphics editors' I think.

I am entirely happy with KVM-hosted Windows 7/8 instances over a LAN
(not WAN) for most uses (accounts etc), but I reckon you need all the
graphics performance you can get.

So VMWare player (which now permits creation of VMs) or VirtualBox are
those that have some acceleration of graphics.

For 3D I'd go for VMWare myself (and indeed, I did).

MeJ
--
Stabilys Ltd		www.stabilys.com
244 Kilburn Lane