[GLLUG] Anyone know how webmin does its dirty work?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Jan 1 17:22:15 UTC 2013

On 29/12/12 18:03, Jan Henkins wrote:
[snip]
> double-check your interfaces file too. It is entirely possible that
> Webmin did some changes there.

Finally solved this one - been having odd attempts when I felt well
enough to tackle a bit of hard thinking.

Webmin had indeed made "some changes" to the interfaces file.  They were
the kind of subtle change which you don't see at first when your brain
isn't firing properly.  As Eric Morecambe might have said, it contained
all the right lines, but not necessarily in the right order.

Webmin seems to have randomly re-distributed valid lines to invalid
places in the file, causing all the interfaces (including lo) to fail to
come up.  Read carelessly it still looked like a valid interfaces file,
but the more I studied it the more I realised how borked it was.  It
still took me three goes to find and remove all of webmin's insanity.

Definitely one for laying down and avoiding.

John