[GLLUG] Low power (and cheap) servers in a highish ambient temperature

Jon Fautley jon.fautley at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 08:27:03 UTC 2013

On 22 Jul 2013, at 19:40, Tom Taylor wrote:
> I need some hardware (not particularly powerful) capable of running a
> fairly mainstream Linux distro.
>
> The catch is that it needs to run in a fairly warm (up to 45degC) and
> dusty (so fans are a bad idea) environment.

How about something like a VIA Mini-ITX system? A lot of them are
passively cooled. If you want something really low powered (but well
supported) then devices such as the Soekris or ALIX boards would be
sufficient and should handle the "extreme conditions" you're proposing,
but don't expect them to mine bitcoins or do graphics rendering as
that's not what they're designed for.

http://www.linitx.com/ are an excellent source of these type of systems,
you could even give them a call/jump on their IRC channel and see what
they recommend; they know their products really well.

Cheers

Jon