[GLLUG] NFS is worn out?

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Sat Jun 1 15:22:44 UTC 2013

On 01/06/13 16:17, Hearns, John wrote:

> Are you having hostname lookup problems?
> Check your /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/nsswitch.conf and make sure you can
> always resolve 'revo2' quickly.

DNS is fine.  It runs on the same box and /etc/resolv.conf points to
127.0.0.1.

> Also as I say look for processes waiting in 'D' state.

Will do.  Thanks for the suggestion about nfswatch.  Installed and
trying it out.

> Also run a smartctl self test on your disk - are things hanging while
> your disk is reporting that it is ill?
> You would probably see that in the system log file anyway, but worth
> checking.

The disk seems perfectly hunky.  I can retrieve the same files by any
other means, and I'm not getting any disk errors.  The whole disk is
backed up nightly, which happens without so much as a peep.  Only NFS
access has any difficulties.

Having posted my original message I suddenly thought to google the
second error message rather than the first one as I had been doing, and
immediately came up with this:

http://sophiedogg.com/lockd-and-statd-nfs-errors/

Which sounds like a description of exactly my problem.  I'm trying the
fix described there and will see if it helps.

Thanks for your assistance.

Cheers,
John