[GLLUG] Raspberry Pi for children

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Wed Jun 5 16:56:07 UTC 2013

On 05/06/13 17:24, Hearns, John wrote:

> I am thinking on buying a Raspberry Pi for my nephew.
>
> Are there distributions for them which are aimed at children -- ie. if
> I pre-installed it with such a distro would he be able
>
> to run some interesting applications out of the box?
>
> Yes, I do know Google exists. But somehow the human touch is better.

Without knowing the age of the intended recipient I don't know how much
help I can offer. The standard Raspian distro includes the Scratch
development system aimed at junior school children. It also includes, or
can get, all of the standard Linux tools. If the boy is capable of
plugging together all of the components needed to build a working system
then he may have progressed beyond Scratch and on to other development
systems. From there onwards he will need an aptitude for programming.
What is his attitude to delayed gratification?

--
Bernard Peek
bap at shrdlu.com