[GLLUG] Broadband/cable provider [OT]

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Wed Mar 6 10:23:48 UTC 2013

On Wed, 6 Mar 2013 10:05:50 +0000, Matthew Walster <matthew at walster.org>
wrote:
> Why would you regularly download a couple of Linux distributions?

To be fair, the problem is not *regularly* downloading a couple of Linux
distributions.  From the description, the throttling occurs even if you do
it just once, and I can easily envisage the circumstance when I might
download two ISOs in the same day.  Indeed, I've probably done it within
the last month, trying out a couple of distributions on a new computer.

This is where a decent service like A&A's scores.  If I did download a
couple of ISOs every day it would indeed get expensive, but if I do it just
once in a while then there isn't an issue (and if I do it in the middle of
the night then I can download ludicrous amounts for my monthly
subscription), and the question of throttling just doesn't arise.  Even
when son number 2 comes home from university, used to having a gigabit
connection in his bedroom and a notional daily download restriction which
is somewhere in the stratosphere, he only manages to use up some of my
unused download capacity which has built up over term time.

John