[GLLUG] Broadband/cable provider [OT]

Matthew Walster matthew at walster.org
Wed Mar 6 10:51:10 UTC 2013

On 6 March 2013 10:46, John Edwards <john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk> wrote:

> I think the reason it is built that way it to allow for the
> connections to be sent back to the reseller ISPs' networks.

Absolutely. And my friends and colleagues would kill me if they found out
I'd be up for nationalising the network infrastructure within the UK to get
rid of that bottleneck.

Stop it, Andy, I can feel your eyes burning a hole into the back of my head.

> But as someone who mainly deals with small businesses, the extra
> speed and lower cost (compared to a good DSL ISP) just does not
> make up for the possibility of days of downtime.

Then they need to pay more for their internet. Paying only £30/month for
your internet connection then complaining you're losing hundreds/thousands
of pounds a day when it goes down only shows how cheap people can be.

If a leased line (BT EAD or similar) is too expensive, AAISP do a great
offering: http://aaisp.net.uk/broadband-office1.html (not launched yet)