[GLLUG] Broadband/cable provider [OT]

Matthew Walster matthew at walster.org
Wed Mar 6 11:47:05 UTC 2013

On 6 March 2013 11:06, JLMS <jjllmmss at googlemail.com> wrote:

> What I don't understand is why people are running what seems like quite
> complicated set ups on their home networks.

Until recently, I did just that -- then I decided that since I was staying
in lots of hotels and/or moving quite a lot, to get rid of that
infrastructure and put it all on a server in the Docklands, with an HA
backup at OVH. All my media (incl. iTunes purchases from the last 7 years
etc) are stored on that server and mounted onto whichever device I want to
use, be it my laptop, my TV box (a RasPi) or whatever. It's all puppetised
too, so I can rebuild in minutes if I needed to (no, I never have).

> With the wide availability of cheap hosting, which is actually intended
> for all those services people are talking about, I am curious as to why
> people insist to keep complicated set ups in house so to speak.

Because we're geeks and it's fun to tinker ;) Then again, Kimsufi servers
are so cheap these days (as well as VMs) that it's not really worth it
anymore unless you happen to have a huge amount of spare hardware.

> Residential broadband is clearly intended for consumer mostly situations,
> if one has anything to serve it seems to me like residential broadband is
> the wrong solution (fixed IP addresses? Why? )

Completely agree. Which is why 99% of times people arguing against CGNAT
are wrong. The fact you can't forward a port to your VNC session at home is
a silly argument. The real argument against CGNAT is a lot stronger --
though to be perfectly honest, once the yanks runs out of v4 space, v6
should take off a lot faster.