[GLLUG] Broadband/cable provider [OT]

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Wed Mar 6 13:04:51 UTC 2013

On Wed, 6 Mar 2013 12:55:11 +0000, James Courtier-Dutton
<james.dutton at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> Another thing I liked, was an old demon.net feature.
> You sent them an email, they downloaded the file for you, you then
> downloaded it locally from demon.
> I think they called the service "ftp via email".
> I have no idea if they still do it or not.

I too remember this feature, but it had more point in a dial-up
environment.  If you were trying to download something from a distant, slow
site you tied up one of their dial-up modems for an extended period.  If
instead they (Demon) fetched it to a local disk (taking however long it
took) and then you connected and downloaded it from there you got the
absolute maximum throughput that your modem could manage, thus saving stuff
for everyone.

There wouldn't seem to be much advantage to it in an always-connected
world.

John