[GLLUG] Broadband/cable provider [OT]

Alistair Mann al at pectw.net
Wed Mar 6 13:25:13 UTC 2013

On 06/03/13 13:06, Matthew Walster wrote:

 > On 6 March 2013 12:55, James Courtier-Dutton <james.dutton at gmail.com
 > <mailto:james.dutton at gmail.com>> wrote:
 >
 >> I have used bittorrent for all sorts of legal stuff.
 >
 > AFAIK, the only mass-market legal use of BitTorrent is World of
 > Warcraft updates...

http://source.data.gov.uk/data/finance/coins/2010-09-28/adjustment_table_extract_2009_10.zip?torrent

If it's good enough for Her Majesty's Government...

>> Another thing I liked, was  an old demon.net <http://demon.net>
 >> feature. You sent them an email, they downloaded the file for you,
 >> you then downloaded it locally from demon. I think they called the
 >> service "ftp via email". I have no idea if they still do it or not.
 >
 > I'd hope not. There used to be an ISP in Nottingham that did the
 > same. Hopefully that went away a long time ago with the introduction
 > of resumable downloads and broadband connections.

Not only did Demon close the email request feature down, they closed
ftp.demon.co.uk itself down some years ago.
--
Alistair Mann

t:07899 846 648
w:www.pectw.net