[GLLUG] Swapin in iotop

Tom Taylor tom at tommyt.co.uk
Fri Mar 8 15:30:37 UTC 2013

I've been watching vmstat and using free -k and I've not seen anything
touch it during my samples.  There is 84kB in swap but that has been there
ages.

Ignoring the file cache, there is about 8GB free on this box (16GB total)
so I wouldn't expect swap to be doing anything.  Swap is only 512MB (left
over as part of the build process).

I'm wondering if swapin is a measure related to page allocation that has
nothing specifically to do with the disk based swap but with virtual memory
as a whole.