[GLLUG] Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H does not post

Dmitrijs Ledkovs xnox at debian.org
Fri Mar 15 11:28:05 UTC 2013

On 15 March 2013 07:03, James Courtier-Dutton <james.dutton at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 15, 2013 12:38 AM, "Dmitrijs Ledkovs" <xnox at debian.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I just joined this mailing list and I hope somebody can help me with
>> my new self-built PC.
>>
>> I got:
>>
>> Intel Core i7 3770 3.4GHz Socket 1155 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
>> Coolermaster Elite 430 All Black Case With Elite 500W PSU
>> Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI 8 Channel Audio ATX
>> Motherboard
>> 32GB (4 x 8GB) Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3 DIMM CL9 Black
>>
>> It does not boot, no graphics output, no bios, only very short beeps
>> (almost like a crack) from the pc speaker every 5 seconds.
>>

> Describe the beeps better. These are called bios beep codes and tell you
> what is wrong.

As this motherboard is UEFI only with the new "3D UEFI" it's not a
typical AwardBIOS/SeaBIOS and none of the internets tell me any useful
beep codes.

> If the beeps are a recognizable pattern, the cpu is fine.
>
> Try inserting only one ram chip, then only the other on. one of them might
> be faulty.
> Also check that the cmos battery is inserted correctly, and make sure the
> cmos clear jumper is set to "not clear"
> I had a motherboard arrive which would not boot unless a jumper was removed.

cmos clear jumper is removed, i did try resetting cmos, booting
outside of the case, with just:
pc-speaker + 1 stick of ram in the correct slot + cpu with fan + power
sw attached

I've tried it all. I'm now trying to eliminate buggy component to send
the return.

Regards,

Dmitrijs.