[GLLUG] Hi all.. question about hardware purchasing..

Peter Grant grantpe at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 13:56:02 UTC 2013

I've had different experiences:
I use Thinkpads for laptops in the past - I've had everything work on
them, and quite reliably too. I think having a particular brand name
helps - which oddly makes MacBooks and MacBook Pros a sensible choice
- I think there are some Linux people who take them as a challange!
However, when there's a new model be prepared for things not to work
until its been out 9 months or more!
Smaller brand names also seem not too bad - they often just rebadge
and use very standard (cheap) hardware. It's the middle of the road
products which produce problems: they're different enough not to be
supported when new, but too boring for anyone to be bothered trying
very hard to produce a patch for!
For the record, I currently have a year old MacBook Pro which triple
boots quite happily! However, I end up running Kubuntu on it where I
might prefer Debian - its much easier to everything working right!
Peter

"When you have a Swiss Army knife of a mind, everything looks like it
should be dismantled." Danny O'Brien/Merlin Mann