[GLLUG] Frustration with fonts...

Bilal Qayum bilalqayum at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 15:03:28 UTC 2013

Hi all. I've done the usual rounds of forum and google searches in vain,
thought I'd post here before before an Ubuntu forum post. Apologies in
advance if this isn't the correct place to ask this.

I've had a pretty frustrating few days trying to fix up fonts in Unity.
I most definitely broke it myself, but am finding it unusually difficult
to fix.

I have a few KDE apps lying about in Unity and in an attempt to
integrate them better, I followed instructions on changing the fonts,
themes etc. Changing the fonts results in a pretty awful mess, text is
now universally thin, pixelated and jagged. Retracing my steps hasn't
helped and neither has resetting to defaults in various setting
applications, hinting, anti-aliasing etc.

The problem isn't exactly unknown after messing with KDE settings in
Unity, but all instances I've found have been solved by running 'sudo
dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig' which doesn't do a single thing for me. My
wife's account, running Cinnamon rather than Unity, is as smooth and
pleasant to look at as ever through all this.

I'm almost resigned to having to reinstall 12.10 or doing a fresh
install of 13.04 next month, but would really prefer to avoid it to
avoid causing marital strife, my wife is very much in love with her
Cinnamon account and isn't a fan of repeating all her tweaks and
changes. I'm hoping there might be something I'm either overlooking or a
method to completely wipe all font data from Unity, beyond reconfiguring
fontconfig, that might reset my system to default. Any possible leads?