[GLLUG] Ruddy Debianites

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Mon May 13 11:00:26 UTC 2013

"Hearns, John" <john.hearns at mclaren.com> writes:

> ➢ Sadly this story was reported wrongly almost everywhere. Nice to see they run more Debian, but still.... May I refer you to what I wrote on this subject? ;)
>
> http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/International-Space-Station-to-use-Linux-on-more-laptops-1860833.html
>
> Aha! The Rebel Alliance stage a fightback against the Empire:
>
>  several computers on the ISS have already been using several Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux (RHEL) based distributions such as CERN's and
> Fermilab's Scientific Linux.

AFAIK Debian's first orbital trip was on the shuttle in 1997:

  http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/2186

Nice that it's now got to the desktops, rather than just driving
experiments, and it seems very appropriate that they are using "Squeeze":

  http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/SpaceFun?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=bannersqueeze.jpg
  http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/SpaceFun

given the SpaceFun theme.

Cheers, Phil.