[GLLUG] Help with Centos: old disks in new PC

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Sat Nov 9 12:08:01 UTC 2013

On Sat, Nov 09, 2013 at 11:53:28AM +0000, Sharon Kimble wrote:

> Does a live disk, any variety of linux, work? If that works, then I
> would suggest dodgy drives. I.e. retrieve as much info as possible and
> try with new drives. And then once its working, restore from backup. If
> the old machine was 'cooked' then I would surmise that the old hard
> drives would have some element of damage too and would be better off
> being replaced.

Yes, the old hard disks work nicely. As I mentioned: I am able to mount them,
chroot & run commands. Ihave run a liveCD

I have run:

    plymouth-set-default-plugin text

and rebuilt the initrd - does not make any difference.

I edited the boot line with grub and appended:

    init=/bin/bash

I get the same problem -- so it is something that the kernel is doing, not in userland.

There are 2 disks, mirrored (Linux MD) and all partitions are within LVM (except
for /boot).

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/