[GLLUG] RAID1 and Debian 7.2.0 installer

Chris Bell chrisbell at chrisbell.org.uk
Mon Oct 14 09:23:36 UTC 2013

Hello,
   I have been trying to install Debian 7.2.0 to a Pentium 4 32-bit box with
a pair of 3TB discs configured with all RAID1 partitions. I believe that
GRUB2 can boot from / installed to a RAID1 partition, but I have not been
able to make any partition bootable. There is a line included in the raid
set-up to enable booting which does not appear to do anything except make
the screen flash. What do I need to do? Should I just try to cofigure the
RAID using an alternative installer? Should I insert an old IDE PATA disc
just to run GRUB2 from a bootable minimal installation? Thanks.

Bootable Partition 1 66GB RAID1 /
Bootable Partition 2 66GB RAID1 unused, for future use as alternate /
Bootable Partition 3 66GB RAID1 unused, for future use as alternate /
         Partition 4 16GB RAID1 swap
         Partition 5 rest RAID1 /serv

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk