[GLLUG] RAID1 and Debian 7.2.0 installer

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 08:32:48 UTC 2013

For a home machine, I don't really see the need for RAID.
I have a spare HDD on the shelf.
I just back it up to a remote machine (at a relations house) over the
internet.
If the running HDD fails, I just drive round to the remote machine and plug
in the spare HDD and sync them up.
I then bring it back and I am up and running.
If the HDD in the remote machine fails, I do the same, and just use the
spare HDD there instead.
Based on the fact that HDDs don't fail very often, I have not actually had
to do this for 6 years now.

The question I asked myself, is, how long can I do without my photo and
video library, which this HDD supports. And the answer was about 1 month,
so long as I don't actually loose photos and videos I have taken.

I have a laptop as well, and just use that for vital day to day work.

Kind Regards

James