[GLLUG] Debian sources trouble

Sharon Kimble boudiccas at talktalk.net
Thu Sep 5 21:29:06 UTC 2013

On Thu, 5 Sep 2013 21:38:19 +0100 (BST)
MJ <mirojrsc at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am new to Debian. I wanted to add repository for Xiphos software
> for it is not on DVDs. I have added some lines for Xiphos is
> maintained for Ubuntu and Debbian and now Synaptic is throwing this
> and then closes. ?!?
>
> E: The value 'precise' is invalid for APT::Default-Release as such a
> release is not available in the sources E: _cache->open() failed,
> please report.
>
> !?!
>
> "precise" is not in 'sources.list'
> HELP!
>
> Thanks in advance

Mj.
Relax, its not irretrievable, it can be sorted. What version of Debian
have you installed? What exactly is in your '/etc/apt/sources.list'?
[Best if you just copy it and paste it into a email] What exactly are
you trying to add into the sources.list, give url if possible please?
And finally, what command were you using when you got that error
report?

Thanks
Sharon.
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, LibreOffice 4.1.0.4
Registered Linux user 334501