[GLLUG] Mobile phone antenna / booster

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Wed Sep 11 04:39:53 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-09-10 at 21:20 +0100, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:

> Just google 3G antenna.
>
> Typing "3G antenna" into Amazon brings up lots of results. Do make
> sure that the antenna is for the correct RF band.
>
> Regarding "under the eaves", keep in mind what damage condensation
> might do. Weigh this up against the RF loss you will get the longer
> the RF cable is.
>
> Also consider that roofs are not made of brick, so RF signals get
> through. You can put the antenna in the attic. My Freeview TV antenna
> is in my attic and not outside at all.
>
> Try going up into your attic with your mobile phone and see what the
> signal is like.

Try that by all means, but if the signal is marginal (less than all bars
lit) bear in mind that a wet roof (very common in the UK) is very
absorbent to RF.  You may lose your already poor signal each time it
rains!

An outdoor aerial is always preferred, and do all you can to minimise
the feeder length - even the best quality coax is lossy.

I put a hacked about USB "3G dongle" in my brother's loft with a
home-made co-linear aerial outside (there were three or four cell sites
that could be received, but all were different directions), and
connected it to a cheap wireless router.  He got consistent "3G" speeds
throughout his house for two years until BT deigned to connect him to
the local exchange (540m away!).  The "3G" service is still often better
than BT's offering around there!

C.