[GLLUG] Broadband: Bethere -> Sky

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Mon Apr 7 10:41:32 UTC 2014

Hi

On Mon, Apr 07, 2014 at 11:24:30AM +0100, Alain Williams wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 07, 2014 at 11:09:29AM +0100, John Edwards wrote:
>> in a new ADSL modem (not router). Then you plug your own PPPoE router
>> into the ethernet socket of modem and set it up yourself.
>
> That should be fun. Many people will look at instructions that to
> you & me are clear and well written[**] and they will see
> gibberish. When faced with something that they (have convinced
> themselves that) they cannot understand they will just do ''what is
> obvious'' - which will often be nothing.
>
> The result will either be a lot of time on support (0870 is a great
> income stream) or people like you & me being asked for help.

Wasn't that the same for the "old" PPPoA routers? Although most
usually had a "simple setup" which pre-set VCI/VPI/etc based on
country but you still had to type in the CHAP username and password.

If you want simple then some ISPs will sell you a router, which could
be pre-configured. Also BT are trying to get people to use their own
"HomeHub" routers that allow them to sell you extra streaming TV
channels. I suspect those will be pre-configured or even managed
(like Virgin Media's SuperHub).