[GLLUG] Does any virtualisation system provide good support for USB device forwarding?

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Tue Apr 8 21:41:28 UTC 2014

John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk> writes:

> Excellent pointers there from both Richard and Andy and I've made major
> progress this evening.  I think KVM is the way to go, and I'll look at
> migrating my existing Xen VMs tomorrow.

As an additional data point, here's that way that DSA (the Debian
SysAdmin team ... the folk that run the Debian infrastructure) set up
VMs under KVM:

  https://dsa.debian.org/howto/install-kvm/

which is intended to be cut&pasted on the host.  (The stuff about kpartx
at the end can be a helpful reminder of how to do that)

The setup is that you have a small partitioned volume with just the boot
partition, and then other things (i.e. root and swap) is slapped
straight onto individual LVs, which has the advantage of being able to
use the hosts LVM to resize partitions, and the like.

So, that's a half way house between what Xen apparently does, and how
people normally run KVM -- you could presumably just create a new boot
partition on a new volume for KVM and keep the other volumes as they are,
presumably with a bit of fiddling with the fstab so that it mentions:

  vda1   /boot
  vdb    /
  vdc    swap

Cheers, Phil.